We've all had days when we can't seem to concentrate. Luckily, there are some food that have been shown to improve brain function and encourage clarity and focus. Eating well is not only good for your physical health but also your mental health.The brain requires nutrients, just like the heart and muscles.
Here are some top brain-boosting foods:
- Nuts. Though high in fats,nuts contain mostly healthy, unsaturated fats that contribute to brain health. The American Journey of Epidemiology suggests that a good intake of vitamin E might help prevent cognitive decline, particularly in the elderly.
- Tomatoes. There is a good evidence that lycopene, a powerful antioxidant found in tomatoes could help protect against the kind of free radical damage to cells which occurs in the development of dementia, particularly Alzheimer's.
- Broccoli- Broccoli contains vitamin K which is known to enhance cognitive function and brainpower.
- Olive Oil - Olive il has been considered one of the world's healthiest foods. And it really is! Olive oil is high in brain protective antioxidants, contains essential brain vitamins, increases brain-boosting chemical and reduces the risk of depression.
- Sardines - Sardines are packed with EPA and DHA supercharged with omega-3 fatty acids that bolster communications among brain cells and help regulate neurotransmitters responsible for mental focus.
- Berries (blueberries)- Some researches have shown there's strong evidence that eating berries boosts brain function and may prevent age-related memory loss. The high antioxidants content of berries helps protect cells from damage by harmful free radicals.
- Coffee- When consumed in moderation, coffee can be extremely healthy for you. Not only has it has been linked to a reduction in developing: type 2 diabetes, basal cell carcinoma skin cancer, prostate cancer, oral cancer, and the recurrence of breast cancer but it also boosts your brain when combined with a nap.
- Beets- not only are beets a highly nutritious and "cardiovascular health" friendly vegetable, they also can increase blood flow to the brain with their natural nitrates.